The ultimate accompaniment to literally everything, slap a portion with your Sunday lunch, a pork chop, stick it in a toastie in you like! This Cauliflower & Broccoli Cheese is a wonder!
- 1 medium head Cauliflower
- 1 medium Broccoli
- 200g Cheddar
- 100g Red Leicester
- 50g Salted Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 600ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon English Mustard Powder
- Preheat oven to 180 Celcius
- Break broccoli and cauliflower into large florets, finely chop the cauliflower leaves and add them all to a large ovenproof dish. Drizzle over a little olive oil, season generously with salt + pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Heat until it just begins to bubble.
- Add the flour to the melted and combine using a whisk, allow to cook out for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped rosemary and thyme, and cook for another minute.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously, until you have a thick sauce. This will take between 10 ad 15 minutes. Stir in the mustard powder if using.
- Remove from the sauce from the heat and add 2/3 of each cheese, stir a briefly and let the cheese melt – 5 – 6 minutes*
- Tip the cheese sauce over the cauliflower & broccoli, top with the remaining cheese and a few cracks of black pepper, and return to the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the top is golden, bubbling and crunchy.
- Serve immediately.
* If the cheese needs a little more encouragement to fully melt, pop back over a lowheat and stir continuously until the sauce is velvety and smooth.
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Sunday Lunch
Keywords: cauliflower, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, cauliflower and broccoli bake, cheese sauce