Mac + Cheees is 100% a main course, any anyone who tells you otherwise 1) wrong 2) boring and 3) missing out on bigger portions of Mac + Cheese.
- 500g macaroni
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 450 ml milk
- 150 g Red Leicester (grated)
- 200 g Mature Cheddar (grated)
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 200 Celcius. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add macaroni—cook to al dente, about 7- 8 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce, over medium heat, melt 40g butter in a saucepan, once melted whisk in flour to form a roux (or paste), and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly begin to add the milk, stirring continuously. Add pepper, dijon mustard and salt, and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Drain your pasta and pour into an oven dish.
- Once the sauce has thickened remove from heat and add half of the cheddar and half of the Red Leicester to the sauce, mix to combine and allow to melt.
- Pour cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to combine. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese, and cook on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove + Oven
- Cuisine: American