Summer, where art thou? No sooner did the sun appear, it disappeared again. Before it went though, I whipped up this absolutely gorgeous Matcha + Coconut Ice Cream.
If you have already seen my Raspberry + Cream Cheese Ice Cream, you’ll know that in the middle of winter, I purchased an ice cream machine. It was a Black Friday impulse buy, and it just sat gathering dust, still in its box until very recently.
When the summer appeared, and with a food blog on the go, I decided to get creative in the ice cream flavour department. Today with have the next step in that experimentation, Matcha + Coconut Ice Cream.
I don’t know if Matcha is still trendy, I didn’t really get on board with the hype, to be honest. Is that strictly too? If I didn’t get on board with the hype then why did I find a random pouch of Matcha tea I purchased in the, not too distant past. Who knows. It was probably for a smoothie fad that never took off tbh. Anyway, I’m glad I had it. It makes for cracking ice cream.
Making Ice Cream
Ice Cream is a thing of beauty, on that we can all agree. It does take time and a little bit of patience though. The long chill in between finishing the custard and getting it either into the freezer or the ice cream machine is very important.
The colder the ice cream when it enters the freezer, the smaller the ice crystals will be. We want ice cream after all, not slush. With the ice cream machine, it’s not AS important. HOWEVER, you don’t want to work that little ice cream machine too hard. The compressors on these things are notably lazy as hell, and will just give up a lot sooner if you stick in hot custard.
If you want to know more about the still freezing process instead of the ice cream machine, head on over to my recipe for Raspberry + Cream Cheese Ice Cream where I go into the process for you.
For now, see the recipe below and dive into coconutty, pale green goodness.
Serve in a cone, in a bowl, eat it straight out of the tub, I don’t mind. Just get it in your FACE.Print
- 200ml Double Cream
- 400ml Coconut Milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Tip double cream and coconut milk into a saucepan. Add 3 teaspoons of matcha green tea powder and a pinch of salt, gently heat until the mix just begins to simmer, stirring frequently.
- As soon as the mix begins to simmer remove it from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and caster sugar until the mix is thick and pale in colour.
- Tip the coconut milk mixture, through a sieve, into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk to combine
- Wipe out the pan, and add the custard back in.
- Gently heat the custard on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, through a sieve, into a large, clean mixing bowl set over ice. Using a spatula, stir constantly to cool the mixture as quickly as possible, this should take 10 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled custard to a container, and store in the fridge for 4 – 5 hours before transferring to your ice cream machine.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream machine as per machine instructions, about 20 minutes into the churn add 3 tablespoons of desiccated coconut.
- Once the ice cream has reached soft scoop consistency transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least one hour before serving
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Dessert