With the weather picking up in London, it’s approaching my favourite time of the year. SUMMER. Salad season is upon us, so today we’re going for a meat and fruit combination – Pork + Watermelon Skewers served with watercress, pecan, red onion and gorgonzola salad. Fancy.
Fruit in savoury dishes is frowned upon by some, but I love trying out new flavour combinations, and this dish really does sing. It also comes with that bonus of only needing a quarter of a watermelon. That’s plenty of watermelon leftover gorgeous Watermelon Mojitos, another summer superstar.
Let’s make Pork + Watermelon Skewers.
I picked up some ready diced pork leg for this recipe. Pork leg is a pretty lean cut of meat, which means there isn’t a great deal of fat content so you could say that this recipe is healthy, I guess.
First, pre-heat the grill to high. Add diced pork and watermelon to the skewers alternately. You only need to grill these guys for about 7 minutes per side (so 14 – 15 in total). My grill is not the best, so keep an eye, you don’t want to overcook the pork; otherwise it’ll be dry and horrible.
While the Pork + Watermelon Skewers cook; toss together watercress, finely slice half a red onion and roughly chopped pecans. Place the salad on a plate and dot small pieces of gorgonzola across the top, and just hidden inside, the mixture.
Don’t forget to check the Pork + Watermelon Skewers under that grill!!!
Coriander works FAB with watermelon and also compliments the watercress, pecan, red onion and gorgonzola salad. So we’re going to whip up a really quick yoghurt dip, with coriander and garlic.
Simply finely chop a small handful of coriander and a couple of cloves of garlic and stir into three heaped tablespoons of greek yoghurt.
Finally, when the Pork+ Watermelon Skewers are cooked remove them from under the grill. Place them on top of the salad, and serve.
Pork + Watermelon Skewers
- 425 g diced pork
- ¼ of a watermelon
- 40 g watercress
- 50 g pecans
- 1/2 large red onion
- 75 g gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 10 g coriander
- 3 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Pre-heat grill to high. Alternate pork and watermelon onto skewers, and place under the grill for 15 minutes, turning half way.
- Finely slice onion, and roughly chop pecans – toss with watercress and place on a serving plate. Dot blue cheese pieces throughout the salad
- For yoghurt dip – finely chop the coriander and garlic cloves and mix with the greek yoghurt
- When the skewers are ready, place on top of the salad and add a big dollop of coriander + garlic yoghurt dip