Cold autumn evenings require food that’s like a big warm hug, this slow-cooker chicken casserole is THAT hug, serve with heaped of creamy mash.
- 1 Leek
- 300g Carrots
- 1.3kg Chicken Drumsticks + Thighs (combined weight)
- 15g Dried Mushrooms (soaked in 200ml boiling water)
- 2 sticks of Celery
- 200g Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 700ml Chicken Stock
- 200g Parsnips
- Couple of sprigs each of Rosemary & Thyme
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Marmite
- Peel and chop carrots and parsnips, half mushrooms and finely slice the celery.
- Pour 200ml of boiling water over dried mushrooms and allow to stand for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Heat a glug of oil in a large frying, or cast iron, pan over medium-low heat.
- Add finely sliced leek, and cook until soft.
- Toss chicken in flour, making sure the chicken is fully coated and there is no flour left in the bowl.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the leeks, do this in batches if necessary, turn up the heat. Brown the chicken all over – about 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- Add the chopped vegetables to your slow cooker or crockpot, add peeled and roughly chopped garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and garlic.
- Add chicken and leeks on top of the vegetables, and pour in chicken stock.
- Pour the mushroom stock into the slow cooker, through a sieve. Finely chop the mushrooms and add to the mix.
- Pop the lid on your slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 but up to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf, rosemary and thyme sprigs and serve with creamy mash potato and heavily buttered bread.
- You could use just chicken legs, chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks in this recipe if you prefer.
- I prefer cutting my parsnips and carrots into batons, but you really can cut them however you like.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, you could omit the flour and thicken the gravy with cornflour towards the end of cooking. Just mix 2 tablespoons of cornflour and an equal amount of water, into a slurry and stir into the slow cooker for the final 30 minutes. Make sure your chicken stock is gluten-free also.
- Category: Winter Warmers
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Chicken Casserole, slow cooker chicken casserole, winter warmers, fall recipes, slow cooker recipes, stew