Potato Salad, I don’t know a better food! It’s perfect, and this VEGAN POTATO SALAD is absolutely packed with flavour! I don’t know if people still take along things to BBQ’s in tupperware, but what I do know is you should take this to dinner parties, birthdays, bah mitzvahs and BBQs. You’ll get a standing ovation every time, I swear.
Ok… breath, potato salad gushing over. Let’s get down to business.
I like my potatoes super cooked, so please cook the potatoes to your personal preference. I also love my potato salad super creamy, and I’ve flavoured this sauce to high heaven, so you’ll enjoy yours super creamy too.
Learning is fun
Having this food blog on the go is such a fun learning journey. It’s not that I KNOW everything about food. I don’t think people start food blogs thinking they know everything. I’m constantly inspired and looking for further inspiration. I have two documents, one called the “recipe development list” and the other “the recipe long list” they are full of some tasty ideas. Did I think earlier this year I’d be writing a vegan potato salad recipe? Absolutely not. Am I glad I developed this super simple recipe? Absolutely YES.
I didn’t have a clue where to start with Vegan Mayo, not gonna lie! So I headed over to one of my favourite vegan blogs, Simple Vegan Blog, and learnt, that actually, it’s super super easy to make vegan mayo. Hardly any faff at all. You just need to pop everything in a mixing cup, pop a stick blender to the bottom of the container, and blend. Easy as you like.
Assembling Vegan Potato Salad is foolproof
Transfer the mayo into a mixing bowl – add diced cornichons, spring onions, dill and a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard. Give it a big stir! Drain your potatoes and allow to cool ever so slightly and then chuck them into the mayo then stir to combine and SERVE (or take to a BBQ). Et voila, Vegan Potato Salad.
- 700 g baby potatoes
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 125 ml soya milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp mustard powder optional
- 70 g cornichons
- 10 g dill
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Cut the baby potatoes in half, place in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Boil for around 15 minutes until potatoes are lovely and tender.
- In a mixing cup add sunflower oil, soya milk, salt, apple cider vinegar and mustard powder (if using). Emulsify using a stick blender, making sure it is at the bottom of the cup when you start. If there is any excess oil at the top bring the stick blender up.
- Transfer mayonnaise to a large mixing bowl, add finely chopped cornichons, spring onions and dill, along with the wholegrain mustard.
- Drain the potatoes, allow to cool slightly.Chuck them into the mayo, stir to combine, season generously with salt + pepper and SERVE.